Monday 21 June 2010

iOS4 update - backup issues

Like many people today I was eager to get my hands on iOS4, and around 6pm UK time the update became available.

Also like many people however the update hasn't gone as smoothly as one might wish. Basically, in order to install the new OS onto the device, iTunes first has to perform a backup. For me, this was getting stuck at around 10% complete and seemingly not progressing beyond that for a very long time (around an hour).

Turns out plenty of other people are experiencing similar difficulties. I found this thread on the Apple forums which provides some comfort.

Basically, by checking the size of this folder: /Users//Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup you can see that slowly but surely data is being backed up. Therefore I'm going to leave it running overnight - I will of course let you know how I get on.

Please let me know how you have got on with the iOS4 update.

3 comments:

  1. Is it simply demand that is slowing the process down? I'm going to wait a day or so... interested to know what you think of it.

    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jonathan - there was substantial strain on the Apple servers and the initial download took over an hour for me, but the iTunes backup took more like 3-4 hours, and that was after I stripped out all my music first. Seems like a bug, which may persuade many people to put off upgrading for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Blog. Thanks. Do keep posting such good blogs. Thanks for sharing Informative posts.Android App Development

    ReplyDelete

Please share your experiences of iPhone development, or post questions and comments about our games.